To gain access to revision questions, please sign up and log in.
These are common bulb circuit diagram symbols. The one with the cross is the AQA preferred symbol.
- A bulb is an output transducer that converts electrical energy into light and waste heat.
- The current flowing in a thin tungsten filament causes it to become white hot.
- The bulb resistance increases as it heats up.
Bulb LED Comparison
- Bulbs are not very energy efficient
- Bulbs are not very reliable
- LEDs are far more efficient
- LEDs are far more reliable
- LEDs are much more expensive (last updated in 2010) but getting cheaper.
- TOTAL RUNNING COST - LEDs work out cheaper after a few years.
- A large department store might save thousands of pounds on their power bill after switching to LED spot lights.
Bulbs are used for ...
- Illuminating dark areas
- Signalling e.g. traffic lights, railway signals, brake lights, indicator lights, many more ...
Contacts, ©, Cookies, Data Protection and Disclaimers
Hosted at linode.com, London